Friday, January 14, 2011

Day #12

(pic taken with my Samsung Epic)

Soup night!!  I call this my "Southwestern Steak Dump Soup."   I completely made it up on the spot, trying to use up some of the leftovers and half-empty jars that are taking up space in my fridge.  But, OH MY, it was delicious!!!  :-)

Here is the recipe:

Southwestern Steak Dump Soup
6 cups beef broth  (with extra, if needed)
2 cups uncooked brown rice
2 cups diced cooked steak (I used leftover flank steak from fajita night)
1 cup salsa verde
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced fire-roasted peppers
2 cups diced frozen broccoli & cauliflower (I needed more veggies and that was all I had on hand.  You could easily substitute canned or frozen corn, okra, or any other veggies you would like)
1 palm-full Southwest spices (I used a combination of Pampered Chef Southwestern Seasoning and Chipotle Rub - feel free to use taco seasoning, chili powder, paprika, chipotle powder, or whatever you have on hand)
Salt & pepper to taste
Shredded Mexican-blend or Cheddar cheese

Bring beef broth to a boil in large pot.  Add the rest of ingredients, stir together, and let come to a boil.  Cover pot, turn down heat, and let simmer for approximately 15-20 minutes....or until your stomach growls so much you can't wait any longer.   If the soup gets too thick, feel free to add more beef broth (adjusting spice levels if needed), and then simmer a while longer until hot.   When serving, top bowl of soup with a handful of shredded cheese.  Enjoy!

...or the recipe went something like that.  I should have written down better notes LOL.   Let this be my lesson that I need to keep a notebook and pen in my kitchen for my recipe experiments.

If you decide to try this recipe, please let me know what you think!  

 ________________________________________________________

EDIT: Theresa's note (1/17/11) - I took some leftover soup to work today.  When I went to re-heat it, ALL of the broth had been absorbed by the rice, which were now very large and puffy and soft.  I still ate it for lunch, it just wasn't soup anymore.  More like "Southwestern Steak Risotto"!   ;-)


1 comment: