Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Day #16

(Pic taken with my Samsung Epic)


Experiment night!

I bought an acorn squash last time I went grocery shopping, but had no clue how to cook it.   Most recipes I found online called for halving it and baking it in the oven for a long time.    As you can see from the picture, there is no half of an acorn squash sitting on my plate.   When I thought about squash, it made me think of sweet potatoes.   So I peeled and diced the acorn squash and sweet potato, and added them to a large skillet with a splash of olive oil, along with a little white wine, apple juice, and various spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, salt, pepper, jerk seasoning).  Once the squash and potatoes softened, I also diced up an Anjou pear and mixed it in with the squash and potatoes, for a little more color and sweetness.  Since Anjou pears are a dense fruit, I knew it would hold up a bit more in the heat.
(The only slight problem was the sweet potatoes were a little undercooked - "al dente" as you might say.  Next time I will microwave them slightly before I start sauteeing them, so they are a little softer to begin with.  If I had cooked the mix any longer, the squash or pear would have been tooo mushy)

In another skillet, I cooked the pork chops.  First I seasoned them with salt, pepper, and jerk rub, and browned the chops on both sides.  I then added in some apple juice, white wine, sliced onion, and whole black peppercorns, and let it simmer over medium heat until the pork was cooked through.

The squash/potato/pear "hash" turned out wayyy better than I would have anticipated!!   Good balance of flavors to cover the boring sweet potato and squash taste, without being super-sweet.   Great accompaniment to the pork chops.

A successful experiment!

3 comments:

  1. Very creative! I might try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We liked this one! We'll be trying it in the future! This blog has been awesome to watch.
    Tons of love,
    Lois U.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have lots more energy when you get home from work than I do! And I am impressed with your healthy food choices and creativity!

    ReplyDelete