Monday, January 24, 2011

Day #22

(pic taken with my Samsung Epic)

Pizza night!   I was trying a new recipe tonight.  This was a pizza dough recipe that I discovered online when I was looking for a yeast-free pizza crust for a friend.   I found this recipe for Crazy Crust Pizza Dough on allrecipes.com.   And since the only ingredients are flour, eggs, milk, and spices (plus the toppings), it is a great recipe for throwing together when the pizza cravings arise.  Like tonight.  Pizza sounded good, but I wasn't about to buy a frozen pizza from the store.   Curses to this new desire to try and eat healthier and homemade!!

Anyway, I made the pizza dough, substituting whole wheat flour for the all-purpose flour.  The only rimmed pan I had was a 9x13, so the dough was very thinly spread across the bottom.  I followed the recipe, which says to add the toppings on top of the dough "batter" before cooking.  I added Canadian Bacon and drained crushed pineapple.  I was going Hawaiian tonight!   Baked the pizza for 20 minutes, added the shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheeses, then baked an additional 5 minutes.   I didn't have any tomato sauce in the house, and I forgot to buy some at the store.  But I really didn't miss it!  The crust was thin....very crispy around the edges. The middle part under the toppings wasn't quite crispy but wasn't quite soft. 

I think I need to try and make this pizza dough recipe again before I make up my mind to keep it or trash it.  Next time I'll try prebaking the dough slighting before adding the toppings, and using a smaller pan to have a thicker crust.

Following along with my "lighter" dessert last night, I made more of the vanilla ricotta mixture.  Tonight I spread it on some graham cracker rectangles, and topped it with some frozen raspberries.   You could call them mock cheesecake squares, I guess!


 (pic taken with my Samsung Epic)

No comments:

Post a Comment