Saturday, January 29, 2011

Day #27


I was in another salad mood tonight.   I started with a base of chopped romaine and mixed field greens. I then added chopped green pepper, yellow onion, sliced deli roast beef, and a homemade balsamic vinaigrette (see side note below). I topped the salad with some gorgonzola cheese crumbles, dried cranberries and chopped walnuts. The perfect combination of tastes (salty, tangy, and sweet) and textures (crunchy and soft).

Note: a few days ago, on my birthday, my mom and I went to a small store called Vom Fass. This store specializes in oils and vinegars sold straight from their casks.  I purchased 3 products - a red pepper olive oil, a toasted sesame oil, and some balsamic vinegar:

For my salad tonight, I decided to use my new balsamic. I added a little balsamic vinegar to a small mixing bowl, added some Italian seasoning, and then slow whisked in some EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil) until it came together as a dressing.   Let me just say this.... the balsamic vinaigrette was better than any I've bought in stores. Just oil and vinegar without any additives or sugars.  It was worth the cost of the good grade balsamic. :)

1 comment:

  1. Your salad sounds wonderful. It is hard to beat a good balsamic vinegar for dressing. I know I love it. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete