Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Introduction

Welcome to my new blog project!

What is Project Food 365?
My plan for this blog is to post a photo each day of what I ate for dinner. Simple as that. 365 photos of my evening meals. (Well...363 photos. I didn't start until 1/3/11)

Why?
I came up with the idea for this blog while I was grocery shopping last night. This blog is the brainchild of several inspirations, including:
- Project 365 or Photo-A-Day challenges that are popular with scrapbookers and photographers
- Food blogs, such as the Julie/Julia Project, Coconut & Lime, The Pioneer Woman Cooks, Bakerella... the list goes on and on
- The Worst Cooks in America show on Food Network
- Daily food holidays

Worst Cooks in America?
Perhaps I should explain that one, because it was the real catalyst for this blog idea.
Food Network recently began its second season of the Worst Cooks in America realty show. If you aren't familiar with this show, here is a quick synopsis: "Sixteen of the country's most hopeless cooks attempt to transform from kitchen zeros into kitchen heroes as they compete in a grueling culinary boot camp" (from foodnetwork.com)
The show premiered on Sunday night, 1/2/11. As I watched the show, it made me feel very confident in my kitchen ability. I look great compared to many of the contestants!

Project Food 365 - the beginning
Day #1 - Monday, January 3, 2011
After being "inspired" by the Worst Cooks in America, I cooked Quick Pasta Primavera and Sauteed Tilapia for dinner, and then posted the following picture and caption on Facebook:

"I am NOT one of the worst cooks in America. Tonight I made sauteed tilapia and pasta primavera....without catching anything on fire or getting food poisoning ;)"


Day #2 - Tuesday, January 4, 2011:
January 4th is National Spaghetti Day. Did you know that? Me either until Tuesday morning! As soon as I discovered that food holiday, I was in the mood for spaghetti with pesto sauce. After work, I stopped by the grocery store to pick up the ingredients I needed to cook dinner....and that is when I had the lightbulb moment for this blog (instead of always posting my pics to Facebook)!
Dinner last night was spaghetti with chicken, roasted peppers, portobello mushrooms, and pesto sauce:
You see, I live by myself, I cook for myself, and I eat by myself. There is nobody here to share in my cooking successes (or messes). I think this is why posting my dinner pictures on Facebook, and now this blog, appeals so much to me.  Plus, having photographic proof of my dinners might keep me accountable as I attempt to improve my eating habits.

What to expect at Project Food 365
-Daily photos/captions of my dinners - EVERY dinner - the good, the bad, the homemade, the store-bought, the fast food.
- Occasional reflections on what I ate and why - whether for dietary, emotional, mental, or financial reasons
- Occasional recipes for my dinners (when requested by my readers)
DISCLAIMER: I will state upfront that most of my cooking (when not following a recipe) is in the style of Rachael Ray. In other words, I do a lot of tossing ingredients and guesstimating, and very little measuring. But I will do my best to translate them into directions that you can follow!

What NOT to expect at Project Food 365
- Posts about non-food related topics - work, my cat Noelle, family, hobbies

Over time, this blog will be constantly changing and evolving... with the help of you, my readers! If you have a recipe you think I should try and feature, send it to me! If you have tips or suggestions on improving my food photography, send those to me! If you have other comments or constructive criticism, send it to me! If you hate my blog....leave it to yourself ;)

Okay, enough posting for now. Time to go cook tonight's dinner!

Thanks for stopping by :)

~Theresa


P.S.  If anybody is interested in helping me decorate my blog by creating a snazzy header and page design, please let me know! 

1 comment:

  1. Tiza, I think it's so cool that you have started this blog. Gosh, you are really talented in so many ways, girl! I love being able to share what I'm having for dinner and you are welcome to come and have dinner with us anytime!
    Happy Blogging.

    ReplyDelete