Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Day #37


Last night while my mom was helping me put away the leftovers and clean up, she commented on how much chicken was left. She made some sort of remark like "Theresa will probably turn the leftovers into a soup for her blog."  So tonight as I started thinking about what to make, that comment popped into my head. And it made me wonder if I could turn the leftovers into a soup.

I wanted to give it a try.

I started by bringing 2 cups of beef bouillon up to a boil (I didn't have chicken broth on hand).  I added in one cup of the leftover juices & veggies (peppers, onion, & stewed tomatoes) from last nights dish. I also added about 1 cup of tomato sauce, to give it a little more tomato flavor and thickness. I diced up a chicken breast and a chicken thigh, and tossed them into the pot. Seasoned it with a little black pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, and Italian seasoning mix, then covered the pot and let it simmer for about 30 minutes. At that point, I tossed in a couple handfuls of leftover cooked whole wheat egg noodles, and let it cook another 5 minutes.

While that was simmering, I took a couple slices of French baguette and placed them on my stove, to let some of the heat dry out the bread a bit and make it nice & crusty.

When the soup was ready, I ladled it into a bowl, added my crusty bread, and topped with a little dusting of grated parmesan cheese.

It turned out to be a nice, Italian-style chicken noodle soup!

Thanks for the idea, mom!   :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment