Monday, February 21, 2011

Day #50



I was in the mood for pizza last night, but didn't have the ingredients, so today I stopped by the grocery store and picked up everything I would need.   I decided I would give the Crazy Crust Pizza Crust recipe a second chance.   This is the yeast-free crust that I tried last month with mixed results.

I made the crust using half white flour and half whole wheat flour, and spread the dough mixture into my Pampered Chef bar pan.   Instead of laying the toppings directly into the dough, I decided to try pre-baking it first in hopes it would set up better.   I cooked it in a 400-degree oven for approximately 10 minutes.    The edges were hardening, but the middle still looked a little gooey.  But I figured it was good enough, and should cook fully by the end. 

The pizza was a combination of a Hawaiian pizza and a BBQ chicken pizza.   I spread some store-bought BBQ sauce on the crust, then layered it with Canadian Bacon slices, crushed pineapple, chopped red &  green bell peppers, diced chicken breast, and provolone & mozzarella cheeses.   I put the pizza back into the oven and cooked it for another 20 minutes. 

When I cut into the pizza, the edges were cooked well, but the middle section was still a little soft.  Not raw-type of gooey....just not hard and crunchy.    Maybe it will crisp up better when I reheat it using a regular metal pizza pan so the heat can cook the bottom more.

But the edge pieces tasted delicious!   :-)

I might give this crust recipe one more attempt before I throw it away.  I think it needs a few tweaks, and I am determined to figure it out.  I like being able to toss together a pizza from scratch without waiting for yeast.

1 comment:

  1. We also tried a new take on pizza today - pepperoni dippers. Basically just a refrig. pizza crust, no sauce. Add Italian seasoning, cheese, and pepperoni (or whatever) and roll it up into a loaf. Bake it up and dip it in pizza sauce. Pretty yummy and just something different.

    ReplyDelete