Sunday, March 6, 2011

Day #63


Tonight for dinner, I'm having nachos.  But not just any ordinary nachos - these are gourmet nachos.  I started by taking 2 whole wheat soft tortillas and cut them into 8 wedges each.  I sprayed a baking sheet with a butter cooking spray, spread out the tortilla wedges, sprinkled them with a mix of spices (Chipotle rub, Southwestern Seasoning, and Jamaican Jerk rub - all Pampered Chef) - then baked them in a 325-degree oven for about 15 minutes until crispy.   I let them cool on the baking rack for another 5-10 minutes.

I had a small piece of leftover Ginger-Citrus Glazed Pork from earlier last week, so I diced that up, grated a little fresh ginger on top, and reheated it in the microwave for about 30 seconds to take off the chill.

I put the baked tortilla chips on a dinner plate, topped it with the diced pork, added some shredded cheddar cheese and a little black bean salsa - microwaved that for 30 seconds until the cheese melted.  I topped it with a little shredded mixed field greens, diced green onion, and a dollop of tangy Greek yogurt.

These were some of the most delicious nachos I've ever had.  The baked whole grain tortilla chips had a nice grainy crunch.  And the combination of the ginger, black bean salsa, and various spices gave the nachos a more Jamaican/Caribbean flair instead of a Mexican one.

Makes me wish I had more of that pork so I could make another helping....


After eating the nachos, I had a craving for something a little sweet and fruity, so I made some Microwave Peach Cobbler:


I started by putting a handful of frozen peach slices into a bowl and microwaving them for 45 seconds to start thawing.   To the bowl, I then added about a tablespoon of quick cooking oats, a teaspoon of brown sugar, a dash of milk, a dash of pure vanilla extract, and a sprinkle of cinnamon.   Mixed it all together, and microwaved for about another minute & a half, stirring occasionally.  Topped with a dollop of vanilla bean ice cream.   Quick, simple, and satisfied my sweet craving.  Plus I get a serving of fruit :)

No comments:

Post a Comment