Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Day #73 - Spinach-Artichoke Monte Cristos






Trying a new recipe tonight!   I was sitting at work, trying to figure out what to have for dinner.  I navigated over to the Rachael Ray Show webpage, and clicked on Recipes.  One of the first recipes to appear was for Spinach-Artichoke Monte Cristo sandwiches.  Perfect!   Today, March 16th, is National Artichoke Hearts Day.  I bet you didn't know that (unless you follow me on Facebook).

The sandwich was delicious!  Ham, turkey, spinach, artichokes, cheese...grilled between thick slices of sourdough bread.   Served along with a small Caesar salad.
(I opted to use sharp White Cheddar cheese instead of buying gruyere, and I didn't dip my sandwich in egg.  So I guess mine wasn't a true Monte Cristo).

And, as much as I hate to admit this.... I set my smoke alarm off tonight making this dinner.  Crazy for that to happen on such a simple dinner.   I was heating my little skillet so I could toast my sandwich...and for whatever reason beyond me, I decided to put a pat of butter in the skillet instead of buttering my bread.  Well... that butter browned and smoked the instant it hit the skillet.  Ooops! Lesson learned.   And I had to wait for a 2nd skillet to heat up, but I didn't make the same mistake twice.

3 comments:

  1. That sandwich sound totally awesome! I keep watching your recipes and I am so in awe of you. What an inspiring thing to do. Simple dinners are quite often the best and this sounds just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great sandwich idea! When I make Monte Cristo Sandwiches, I don't dip the whole thing in egg, either, but I do soak each piece of bread in the egg mixture on one side only, then put it into the preheated skillet (put the butter in before it heats up and you won't have smoke)with the egg side facing the pan. It really is delicious!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete