Friday, March 18, 2011

Day #75 - Pepper & Soy-Meat Spaghetti


Tonight I made spaghetti with roasted peppers and fake meat.  Yes, you heard me correctly.  Fake meat.  They are Boca brand Meatless Ground Crumbles.  I saw them in the grocery store and was curious, so I picked some up to try.   They are made from soy, and are low-calorie, low-fat, high-protein. 

While my whole grain spaghetti was boiling away in its pot, I heated up a skillet with some olive oil.  To the skillet I added a couple handfuls of frozen roasted bell peppers, and a handful of the soy crumbles.  I let those heat through, and then dumped in a half-can of veggie pasta sauce.   Added the cooked pasta, tossed to coat, then topped with a little fresh-grated Parmesean cheese.

Product review:  They were okay.   Yes, they had the appearance and texture of ground beef.   But they didn't taste like beef.  In fact, I don't think they had much taste at all.   But between the peppers and pasta sauce, there was enough flavor.  The soy crumbles were just an extra nutritional bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment