Monday, March 21, 2011

Day #78 - Caribbean-inspired Citrus Pork Chops


Tonight I created Caribbean-inspired Citrus Pork Chops, with a variety of sides.  This was not following any sort of recipe...just an idea in my head as a way to try and use grapefruit juice with the defrosted pork in my fridge.

First, I started by preparing a box mix of cornbread, and got that cooking in the oven.

Second, I peeled & chopped a sweet potato into large chunks, and steam cooked that in the microwave for approximately 6 minutes until fork tender.   I then drained the potato chunks and set aside.

Third, I made a Caribbean-citrus sauce for my pork - I took the juice of a grapefruit, added about 2 tablespoons of honey, a squirt of spicy mustard, a dash of Jamaican Jerk rub, and some grated fresh ginger.   I whisked that all together, and set it aside.

Fourth, I heated up some vegetable oil in a large skillet while I prepared my pork chops.  I sprinkled them with course sea salt, black pepper, and some more Jamaican Jerk rub.  When the skillet was ready, I added the pork chops and cooked about 2 minutes on each side until they were golden brown.  I then poured in the citrus sauce, and let it all cook together until the pork was cooked and the sauce had thickened. 

Once the pork was cooked, I pulled the chops out of the pan and put them on a plate to rest.   I added the sweet potato chunks to the skillet and tossed them a few times to coat in the thickened citrus-ginger glaze.

During the last couple minutes of this whole process, I took a package of Coconut Cashew Basmati Rice (a microwave quick-cook product that I found at Target), and cooked that for about 90 seconds.

Assembled the rice, pork chops, sweet potato, and cornbread on my plate, and topped with a few diced green onions for color.

....all this dinner needs is a pina colada and an island ;)

1 comment: