Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Day #79 - Sesame-Soy Roasted Veggies with Steak


Let me just say that these were some of the best roasted veggies I've ever tasted, so I want to share the recipe with you.  (I wasn't measuring while I was cooking, so the amounts are estimated to the best that I can.)

Sesame-Soy Roasted Veggies:
1/2 soy sauce
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup sesame oil
1 red onion
1 bunch of asparagus
1 yellow bell pepper
1 bunch broccoli
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
Salt & Pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.   In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, honey, and sesame oil.  Take 1/4 cup of sauce mixture and reserve to the side.
Chop veggies into 2-inch pieces and add to medium mixing bowl.  Pour the remainder of the sauce over the veggies and toss until covered.  Spread veggies in a roasting pan or sided baking sheet.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and sesame seeds.   Bake in oven for 18-20 minutes or until veggies are fully roasted.
Makes about 4 servings 


To go along with the veggies, I cooked up a steak.  I used a large sirloin steak, because it was on special the day I went grocery shopping.  (You can use any cut of steak, meat, or fish you prefer).   I heated up a grill pan on my stove with a little vegetable oil.   Seasoned the steak with a little Garlic & Peppercorn rub, and then grilled it on both sides.  Near the end of the cooking time, I poured the reserved sauce mixture over the steak and let it caramelize in the pan and on the steak.   I then let it sit and rest for about 5 minutes, while I reheated some of the leftover coconut cashew rice from last night.

These veggies were so good, I went back for seconds.  I could have eaten the entire pan of them.  I hope you enjoy them too!

No comments:

Post a Comment