Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Day #86 - Barley Risotto



Trying a new recipe tonight.  This one is for Barley Risotto with Ham & Mushrooms.   I found the recipe in the April 2011 edition of Food Network Magazine.

The recipe was pretty easy to follow.   Start by melting some butter in a skillet.  Add shallots and cook until soft (this was my first time using shallots).  Add barley and cook until toasted, then toss in sliced mushrooms, spices, and white wine.  I also threw in a couple stalks of asparagus that I had left in my fridge.   Add chicken broth and let simmer until most of the broth was absorbed, then stir in diced ham steak, grated parmesean cheese, and parsley.   I think the whole dish took me 30 minutes from start to finish.

The dish had great flavor, probably due to the wine and the mushrooms.   A nice, hardy, quick, comfort food.   And a good amount of protein and fiber with the barley and vegetables.  This recipe is a keeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment