Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Day #114 - Greek Quinoa Salad


Tonight I couldn't figure out what to make for dinner, so I turned to my friends on Facebook.   I asked for suggestions, and got at least a dozen responses back.  One of them was from Amethyst, one of my Prim Rose sisters from college.  She suggested I have Quinoa for dinner.   Quinoa is fun to pronounce, but I wasn't sure how to cook it, so I turned to my other friend, Google.   I found several recipes combining the Quinoa grain with the flavors of a Greek salad.  So I combined a couple different recipes into one large salad:

Greek-inspired Quinoa Salad   (serves 2)

1 cup whole grain Quinoa, cooked
1 cup shredded spinach leaves
1 cup whole baby spinach leaves
1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
1 tomato, chopped
1/2 cup diced red onion
1/2 cup sliced Kalamata olives
1 cup Feta cheese
1 cup diced chicken breast
1/2 lemon
1/8 cup Greek Vinaigrette salad dressing

In a medium mixing bowl I added the cooked Quinoa, shredded spinach, chopped tomato, diced onion, sliced olives, diced chicken breast, and Greek dressing.   Mix together.

On my dinner plate, I placed down the whole baby spinach leaves.  I fanned out the avocado slices in a circle atop the spinach, and then squirted on the juice of the half lemon. I sprinkled on half of the feta cheese.  I then spooned a large portion of the Quinoa salad mix into the middle of my plate.  Sprinkled more Feta cheese on top.    Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment