Monday, April 4, 2011

Day #92 - Spaghetti "Carbonara"


You know how sometimes you overhear people talking about food, and then you start craving whatever food item they were talking about?   That happened to me tonight on the bus ride home.  These two people starting talking about noodles and their favorite ways to eat them (plain with butter and seasoning).  And it got me in the mood for noodles.   So tonight I made a fake version of Spaghetti Carbonara.

I put some whole grain spaghetti in a pot to boil.   Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, I heated up some olive oil and a small pat of butter.   I diced up a few slices of ham and some broccoli, and sauteed it in the butter/oil with some garlic & peppercorn seasoning mix.   When the pasta was cooked, I added a splash of the starchy cooking water (a trick I picked up from Rachael Ray) into the skillet with the ham & broccoli, and then drained the rest of the pasta.   I put the pasta back into the pot, dumped in the ham & broccoli, added a few shakes of grated Parmesean cheese, a little bit more butter, and a handful of chopped fresh parsley.   Mixed it all together until the cheese was sticking to the pasta, then dumped it into my bowl.  Topped with additional cheese and a sprig of parsley.

It's like Spaghetti Carbonara - only with ham instead of bacon, no egg, and the addition of broccoli.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment