Friday, April 8, 2011

Day #96 - Italian Zucchini-Mozzerella Stackers



This dinner was inspired by a recipe I saw recently for Grilled Zucchini Pizzas.   I needed a meat-free recipe for tonight, and decided it would be a good time to test out a zucchini-based entree.   So I created these Italian Zucchini-Mozzerella Stackers

I started with two medium-size zucchini.  I trimmed off the ends, cut away the peel on two sides to make flat bottoms, then cut them in half lengthwise.   This gave me 4 long zucchini "bases."    I seasoned them with salt & pepper, and sauteed them in a large skillet with some olive oil.  I also cut a few slices of red onion, and added them to the skillet.

Once the zucchini were tender, I placed them in a square glass baking dish, and added the sauteed red onion slices on top.   Took some fresh mozzerella cheese, and cut it into thick slices, then layered those on top of the zucchini and onions.  Added some dollops of a Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto, and then covered with shredded Italian cheeses.

I baked this dish in a 350-degree oven for about 10 minutes, until the cheeses were melting:







Along with the Zucchini-Mozaerella stackers, I made myself a small salad of Romaine, diced red onion, dried cranberries, peanuts, shredded Italian cheese, and poppyseed dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment