Monday, April 11, 2011

Day #99 - Spring Chicken Noodle Soup


Trying a new recipe tonight from Rachael Ray's Look & Cook cookbook.   I really like this cookbook, because in addition to all the delicious recipes, it contains color step-by-step pictures along with the recipes.  So you can SEE each step as you make it.  Love that concept!

This soup is called "Cure-A-Cold Spring Chicken Soup."   I've been feeling a little under-the-weather lately and this recipe appealed to me the most.

You start by poaching chicken breasts in a pot of water with 2 halves of onion, a couple garlic cloves, and some spices.   I also added about 1/2 cup of dry white wine.

In a 2nd large soup pot, you sautee chopped onion, celery, and carrot in some olive oil with some salt & pepper.    Add a box of chicken stock, and bring to a boil.   You then add 2 cups of the poaching liquid (strained), egg noodles, and the chicken.   Instead of dicing the chicken, I used two forks to shred the meat.   I think it looks better that way.

Once the noodles are cooked, you add in lemon zest, a little lemon juice, parsley & dill.   I also added some dried chives & tarragon.   Season with additional salt & pepper, if needed.

The light burst from the lemon and dill add a refreshing springtime tweak to traditional chicken noodle soup.

I'm not sure if this will cure a cold, but it's very tasty!!  



P.S.  If anybody wants the actual recipe, let me know and I will write it all out.  Or, I suggest just hopping over to Amazon and buying it for yourself.   If only I got commission on the sales ;)

2 comments:

  1. 2 halves of onion = 1 onion :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that! But you put the 2 halves of the onion into the pot. It would look funny to have a whole onion floating in there.

    ReplyDelete