Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Day #122 - Chicken & Olive Egg Noodles


After the Greek Quinoa salad and Green garden salads that I've eaten over the past week, I still had a little Feta Cheese and about a dozen Kalamata olives remaining.  I wanted to find a way to use them up, without another salad.  So I decided to experiment adding them into a pasta dish.

I started by boiling some water and adding a couple handfuls of egg noodles to cook.

In a medium skillet, I preheated some olive oil.   I chopped one chicken breast into 1-inch chunks, seasoned with salt & pepper, and sauteed them in the skillet until browned.   I diced about one cup of red onion - half went into the skillet with the chicken, and the other half went into a small mixing bowl.  I took the olives, diced them, and mixed them with the red onion.

Once the pasta was cooked, I took 1/4 cup of the cooking water, and added it to my skillet with the chicken & onion.  I used that to help scrape up the browned bits on the bottom of the skillet and form a light "glaze".  I drained the pasta, and then added it back into the pot.  Stirred in the chicken, the diced olive-onion mixture, a palmfull of dried herbs (chive, basil, parsley, garlic), and a couple tablespoons of Feta Cheese. 

It turned out better than I expected.  Could have used some tomato, but I didn't have any on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment