Friday, May 6, 2011

Day #124 - Ham, Apple & White Cheddar Pockets


Tonight I made my own Hot Pockets.   And here is how I did it:

Ingredients:
1 tube refrigerated crescent rolls  (my tube contained 6 crescents)
1 small apple, peeled & chopped (I used a Jazz apple, but any variety could work)
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 cup thinly sliced ham (I used prepackaged deli ham, and just sliced it into strips)
1 block white cheddar cheese (I only used about half of the block.  Enjoy the rest with crackers)
Olive Oil, approximately 2 tablespoons
Assorted spices (I used Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Fresh Rosemary and dried Basil), a pinch of each

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 360 degrees F.
2.  In small skillet, preheat olive oil over medium heat.   Add onion, ham, and apples, and sautee until tender.  Season with the pinches of spices, stir, and then remove from heat.
3.  Open tube of crescent rolls, and unroll onto cookie sheet (I used a stone baking sheet).   Press two triangles together to form a rectangle.
4. Cut thin slices of white cheddar cheese, and place 2-3 slices on one half of the rectangle, leaving the edges free.   Top with a large spoonful of the sauteed mixture, then fold over the other half of the dough.  Pinch around the edges tightly.  Repeat with other 2 rectangles.
5.  Using the tip of a knife, make a couple small pokes in the top of the pocket to let out steam.  Bake in 360F oven for 14-16 minutes, or until pockets are golden brown.  (I cooked mine for 16 minutes.  I could have cooked them slightly longer to make them more browned, but I was hungry!)

Serves 3.


I ate my pocket with a small salad that mirrored some of the ingredients from the pocket - mixed greens, romaine lettuce, diced onion, diced apple, sliced ham, honey mustard dressing, chopped walnuts, and dried cranberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment