Sunday, May 8, 2011

Day #126 - Muffin-tin Meatloafs






I made mini muffin-tin meatloafs tonight!  Aren't they cute?  I had a package of ground beef that I needed to use, but I didn't want just hamburgers again.  I thought these would be fun to make and eat!

I mixed in my favorite flavors with the ground beef:  diced onion, diced green pepper, blue cheese, ketchup, salt, black pepper, BBQ rub, and chipotle rub.    And of course, an egg for the glue.
I don't have any bread crumbs (or crackers) in my pantry, so I needed to find something else to substitute.  I did some searching online, and found several recipes using Quinoa in the meatloaf.  I figured I'd give it a try.   I cooked up the quinoa, let it cool slightly, then mixed about a half cup into the meatloaf mixture.

I rubbed the muffin tin with some olive oil, then scooped in the mixture.   1 pound of ground beef made about 8 meatloafs.   I cooked them in a 375 degree F oven for about 35 minutes, until the interior temperature was at least 160.

Cooked up some egg noodles, which I tossed with butter & herbs.

My reaction:  They were a little dry.    I don't know if it was the quinoa, the ratios of the ingredients I added, or the wrong cooking time/temperature.   But the flavor was good!


P.S.   Is the plural of meatloaf, meatloafs or meatloaves?   Neither looks right .

3 comments:

  1. I never thought of using quinoa in meatloaf or meatballs. I think I'll suggest it to Travis - healthier than breadcrumbs. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Travis says the plural is meatloaves, like bread loaves. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell Travis thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete