Sunday, May 15, 2011

Day #133 - Twice-Baked Sweet Potato


Tonight I wanted to use the other half of the sweet potato from Friday night, so I opted to make a twice-baked potato.   Several recipes online called for adding bacon, cheddar cheese, and sour cream to the mashed potato filling.    I played around with that concept, using the ingredients I had on hand.

I started by heating some olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat.  Into the skillet I added a little diced onion and prosciutto.  I sauteed these until the onion was tender and the prosciutto started crisping up.  

I reheated the half sweet potato in the microwave for about 30 seconds until warm, then scooped the potato "pulp" from the skin into a small mixing bowl.   I mashed the potato together with a small pat of butter, a spoonful of ricotta cheese, the sauteed onion & prosciutto, and some dried Italian herbs.   Once well-mixed, I stuffed the mixture back into the potato skin.  I grated some Parmesean-Reggiano cheese on top, then cooked it in my toaster oven until the cheese was melted (I used the Medium Toast setting).

Honestly, it was just okay.  Not one of my greatest cooking experiments.

However....my dessert experiment was a HUGE success:


I made a Shortcake using some leftover chocolate chip waffles from breakfast.   I took half of a Cocoa Chocolate Chip Belgian waffle, and split it in half (so I had 2 quarter wedges).   I mixed together 1/2 cup of ricotta cheese and 1 tsp of vanilla extract, then spread that over one waffle wedge.  I thawed about 1 cup of frozen strawberry slices, then dumped the strawberries & juice over the ricotta.  Topped it with the other quarter waffle wedge.    Chocolate, strawberries, creamy ricotta.... Delicious!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment