Monday, May 23, 2011

Day #141 - Mustard-Cream Tilapia


Yes, I admit - this is an ugly photo. But trust me, it tasted better than it looks.   Tonight I tried a new recipe that I found on TastyKitchen.com:  Tilapia with Mustard Cream Sauce.   I already had most of the ingredients, which made it convenient.

I thawed out two tilapia fillets from the freezer.  I seasoned them with salt, pepper, and garlic rub.  I sauteed the fillets in a skillet of olive oil over medium-high, about 1 minute on each side.   I added a splash of white wine, and brought it up to a boil.   I then added sliced mushrooms, and a mixture of Dijon mustard and Greek yogurt (the recipe called for Cream).   I covered the skillet, and simmered until the fish was fully cooked.  

While I was preparing the tilapia, I used my microwave rice cooker and steam-cooked some quartered baby red potatoes, about 8 minutes.   I then added some chopped kale to the cooker, and microwaved for an additional 2 minutes.

After removing the fish from the skillet, I whisked together the sauce in the pan and then drizzled it over my potatoes & kale. 

Like I said, it tasted much better than it looks.


Lately, I have had several friends posting delicious dessert pictures on Facebook, and then tagging me in the photos to tempt me with their treats.   Persuasion is a powerful thing, particularly where my sweet tooth is involved.  So tonight, I treated myself to dessert:
 

I made a Black Forest Dump Cake!!   This was another recipe that I found on TastyKitchen.com, and altered slightly.    The original recipe can be found here.

My version is below:

Black Forest Dump Cake

Ingredients:
  • 1 large bag frozen pitted sweet cherries (at least 16 oz.), thawed, drained, and juices reserved
  • 1 large jar Cherry Pie Filling (32 oz.)
  • 1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix (18 oz.)
  • 1/2 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup Chopped Pecans
  • 1/2 stick butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk
  • Cool Whip or Vanilla Ice Cream, to serve
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and  lightly grease (or spray) a 9 x 13 inch pan.   
  2. Spread thawed frozen cherries on bottom, then top with jar of cherry pie filling
  3. Sprinkle the dry cake mix over the filling, then sprinkle chocolate chips and chopped pecans over the cake mix layer
  4. Combine melted butter, reserved cherry juice, and coconut milk.  Pour mixture over the cake.
  5. Bake for 1 hour in the 350 degree oven.   Serve topped with whipped cream or ice cream.
This is what my cake looked like fresh out of the oven:

It was very difficult limiting myself to just one serving of this cake!!  

1 comment:

  1. Okay! So count me in for the dessert leftovers! :) Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete