Monday, July 4, 2011

Day #183 - 4th of July!


Happy Independence Day, America!

The 4th of July is usually a big day for barbeques and grilling.  But I did neither of those options for my dinner.  Instead I used my crockpot and made a delicious BBQ Beef Brisket with slaw for my side dish.

The BBQ Beef Brisket recipe I followed was from Tasty Kitchen:
http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/main-courses/crockpot-bbq-beer-brisket/

The brisket I bought from the store was only 3 pounds, so I cut down the sauce recipe, using only 1 bottle (12 oz) of beer and 3/4 bottle of BBQ Sauce.  Instead of using cumin in the sauce, I chose to rub the brisket with my chocolate-chipotle rub before submersing it in the sauce.  It added a nice sweet & spicy flavor in contrast to the tangy beer and BBQ sauce.   All day long I suffered with the smell of the brisket cooking in the crockpot.   By the time dinner was ready (8 hours later), the brisket just fell apart at the touch of my fork.  I piled it up on a nice crusty hoagie roll and chowed down.

I also tried a new slaw recipe for dinner, also from Tasty Kitchen:
http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/sidedishes/apple-cabbage-slaw-with-creamy-poppy-seed-dressing/

The only modifications I made to the recipe were using red wine vinegar in place of the apple cider vinegar, because that was all I had on hand.   And instead of using a head of cabbage, I took a shortcut and just bought a bag of cole slaw mix, with the cabbage and carrots already shredded.   Oh, and I added dried cranberries to the slaw, to add a little extra color and tangy-ness. 

Delicious summertime dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment