Saturday, July 9, 2011

Day #188 - Grandma's Birthday

Happy 85th Birthday to my Grandma Raidt!!   She is one of my biggest blog fans and followers.

Tonight, all of the in-town family joined together at my parents' house for a birthday dinner.   We started with a chilled watermelon & mint soup, drizzled with a yogurt swirl, and afresh mint leaf garnish:
(Something tells me my parents have been on too many cruises, if they are serving chilled fruit soups!)
The soup was very good, in addition to the lovely colorful presentation.   The mint kept it from being overly sweet and dessert-like.   A nice start to the meal!

The main course consisted of barbequed chicken (breasts and thighs), corn-on-the-cob, creamy mashed potatoes, steamed asparagus, and mini poppyseed rolls:

The chicken was very moist and succulent, due to being marinated and then grilled on the Weber charcoal grill.  The asparagus was steamed to al dente, and still had its vibrant green color.  The corn was wonderful.  Locally grown corn always tastes best in the summertime.   And the mashed potatoes were extra rich and creamy, due to the milk, cream cheese, and sour cream!   Yum!

Dessert was provided by my Aunt Linda.  She made an excellent pineapple upside down cake.   I devoured most of my slice before I remembered to take a picture:

A wonderful meal from start to finish!

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful descriptions! Thanks!
    F.Y.I. the chicken was marinated overnight in a combination of Italian dressing (Kraft Tuscan-style) and crushed pineapple. Before grilling, it was rubbed with a Barbeque rub (Pampered Chef) then placed over indirect heat (medium-hot coals) so it wouldn't cook too fast. After it was removed from the grill, I put it in a pan that had some liquid in it so the meat wouldn't dry out when it was kept warm in the oven. The liquid was made from a little of this-and-that: brown sugar, Sprite soda, white wine, and a little orange juice (since I didn't have more pineapple juice). I learned the art of improvising and adapting from you!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Too many cruises"? There's no such thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In fact, someone already booked the next one!

    ReplyDelete