Saturday, August 6, 2011

Day #216 - Pitas, Soup, and Pie!

Today we got a late start on vacation; the whole family chose to sleep late instead.    When we finally got up and moving, we went to Extreme Pita for lunch.   I've eaten pitas before, but never like this.  These were really large, thin pitas, stuffed with delicious ingredients and then rolled like a wrap.    I ordered one of their international-inspired pitas:  The Chicken Souvlaki - chicken, red onion, cucumber, black olives, tomatoes, romaine lettuce, feta cheese, Greek oregano dressing, and tzatziki sauce.   It was very good!



After lunch, we drove to Lands End for some trail hiking and beach observing.  I say observing, because it was a little too cold to get in the water, except for maybe our hands and feet.  Plus the waves were very strong crashing against the rocks!

My brother knew of a restaurant a short drive from Lands End, so we went there for dinner.   Duarte's Tavern, located in Pescadero, CA, is a small historic landmark restaurant, family owned since 1894.  In 2003, they were one of five restaurants in the United States to receive an honorary award as an American Classic from the James Beard Foundation.    They have also been featured in an episode of Food Network's "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives."   With credentials like that, I couldn't wait to taste their menu!

Two dishes Duarte's is known for is their Cream of Artichoke Soup and Olallieberry Pie.   I ordered a bowl of the soup as my entree, in order to save room for dessert.  The soup was hot and creamy, with a light taste of artichokes.  It didn't have as many chunks of artichoke as I was expecting.   But it was still a very good soup.  We were also served a large basket of hot, fresh, homemade Rustic country white bread.  It made an excellent dipper & scoop for my soup!


Next came dessert.  They had several varieties of pie on their menu, and I knew I wanted to try the Olallieberry.  But another flavor caught my attention: the apricot.  I've never had an apricot pie before, so I ordered a slice of that.  It worked out perfectly, because my mom and brother both ordered the Olallieberry, so I still got a sample of it.  The apricot was flavorful, a little less sweet than a peach pie.  The olallieberry was rich and berry-like, very similar to a blackberry.   And the combination of both pies together in one bite was fabulous!



P.S.  What is an olallieberry, you ask?   An olallieberry is a cross between the loganberry and the youngberry, each of which is itself a cross between blackberry and another berry (raspberry and dewberry, respectively).

1 comment:

  1. When I saw your title, I couldn't help but think "pitas and soup and pie! Oh my!" :D It all sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete