Sunday, August 7, 2011

Day #217 - Fast Food & Homemade Food

Our last full day on vacation, and we all chose to sleep in again. We started our day with lunch from Subway.   I had the Chicken Teriyaki sub, toasted, with lettuce, cucumber, and tomato. With Nacho Cheese Doritos.


After lunch, we all hung out at my brother's apartment for the afternoon.  I think the past week of sightseeing and hiking has worn all of us out.   It felt nice to just chill and decompress for a day.

We went over to my relatives' house for dinner again tonight.  My aunt made Chicken Kiev, which was very delicious!  She also cooked some homemade potato pancakes, which were very thin and crispy!  I don't remember having potato pancakes before, so I tried one with sour cream, and one with applesauce.   Despite my family claiming they taste best with the applesauce...I preferred the sour cream.  I guess that makes me the nontraditional one of the group.   I also had a nice salad of lettuce, mandarin oranges, pecans, croutons, and balsamic dressing.  It was a wonderful meal, and a nice change from all the fast food I've eaten this week.


We had two desserts tonight: Lemon Bars baked by my aunt, and chocolate-dipped strawberries and clementine slices made by my cousin and his girlfriend.
The lemon bars were superb, probably because the lemons came straight from the trees in their backyard.  Much better than any store-bought lemons or boxed mixes found back home in the Midwest.   The chocolate fruit was delicious too.   You can never go wrong with fresh fruit dipped in chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment