Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Day #219 - Island Sweet Pork


First dinner back at home.  Since I haven't had a chance to get to the grocery store yet, I rummaged through my freezer and pantry to find something to cook.   I pulled a package of pork chops from the freezer first thing in the morning and let them thaw in the refrigerator during the day.   When it was time for dinner, I drizzled olive oil over the pork chops, and coated them with an "Island Sweet" spice blend that I bought at  San Francisco's Pier 39.   The "Island Sweet Blend" (from the Spice & Tea Exchange) is a combination of sumac, mustard, coconut powder, rosebuds, dill weed, vanilla sugar, turbinado, and orange zest.  It had a slightly sweet, citrusy, earthy flavor, and it paired nicely with the pork.  I cooked the pork chops in my stovetop grill pan.   Near the end of the cooking process, I drizzled a little pineapple juice over the chops to form a "glaze" with the spice rub on the chops.

For my side dishes, I found a can of Great Northern white beans in my pantry cabinet.  I poured the contents of the can (beans and juices) into a microwaveable bowl, and added a small pinch of the Island Sweet Blend to create a more cohesive pairing with the pork chops.  I microwaved them for 3-4 minutes, stirring at the halfway point.   I also chilled a can of crushed pineapple, and had a few spoonfuls on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment