Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Day #227 - Espresso Steak & Roasted Veggies


When I was at the Spice & Tea Exchange in San Francisco, I picked up a small bag of Espresso Steak Rub.  If you have been following my blog for a while, you might remember the Coffee-Marinated Pork Chops I prepared back on Day #100. Since those were a success, I had high hopes for this Steak Rub, which consisted of fresh pepper, ground espresso beans, kosher salt, garlic, cilantro, smoked paprika, and ancho chili powder.

I drizzled my steak with a little olive oil, sprinkled on the steak rub, rubbed the seasoning into the steak until well-coated, and then let it sit until room temperature.

Meanwhile, I had the oven preheating to 400 degrees, so I could roast some vegetables on the side.   I took red bell pepper slices, broccoli florets, and snap peas (thawed from the freezer), and tossed them with a little olive oil.   I spread the veggies  on  my stoneware baking pan, seasoned with a little salt & pepper, and roasted them in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until they were tender and browned.  Since I had cut the vegetables somewhat small, they roasted pretty quickly. 

While the vegetables were roasting, I heated my stove-top grill pan to high, cooked the steak for a couple minutes on each side, then pulled it off the heat to rest.

Once the vegetables were roasted to perfection, I served up a nice mound of veggies onto my plate, cut off a few slices of steak, and enjoyed my dinner.


The steak rub added great flavor to the steak.  The espresso was not pronounced, but it did add a subtle richness with the smoky spice of the rub.   And the roasted vegetables were delicious as they always are - I ended up going back for seconds and thirds until I had eaten the whole pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment