Sunday, August 21, 2011

Day #231 - Chicken Salad Sandwich


Today I was in the mood for chicken salad.   I had some chicken breasts in the freezer, so I pulled them out and defrosted them.  I decided to poach the chicken, rather than sautee or bake it.   I put the chicken breasts at the bottom of a medium pot, added 2 cups of water, 1 chicken boullion cube, a palmful of dried herbs, and a few dashes of dried onion.   This combination added a nice flavor to the chicken breasts.

Once the chicken had cooked and cooled, I diced the breasts, mixed in some mayonnaise, crushed black pepper, and a little more of the same dried herbs and dried onion from the poaching liquid.

To build the sandwich, I spread a thin layer of chicken salad on two pieces of whole grain bread, topped both halves with swiss cheese, and put in the toaster oven until the cheese was melted.   To add a little extra kick (and since I didn't have any fresh tomatoes in the kitchen), I added a small bit of mild salsa.
Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment