Thursday, August 25, 2011

Day #235 - Ham & Vegetable Quiche....with a Twist


I still have a large amount of leftover couscous in my fridge!!  It's the bottomless tupperware.   So earlier today I actually did a Google search for "leftover couscous recipes," trying to find something to do with it, because I was out of ideas.   I'm glad I did this search, because I found a very creative and delicious recipe.   The recipe came from a 2007 blog post on a site called Janet is Hungry.   Janet had created a quiche using couscous as the crust!!   I was intrigued.

While I was cooking the quiche, I had fun and took pictures of all the steps....  enjoy the bonus photos.

I started by taking the leftover couscous (about 2 cups), mixing in 2 tablespoons of melted butter, and pressing it along the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie pan.  I sprinkled this "crust" with some shredded Mozzarella cheese and a layer of very thinly sliced some yellow onion.



I then diced 1/2 cup of deli ham and 1/2 cup of bell pepper (I used a combination of red and green).


In a small bowl, I whisked together 3 eggs, 3/4 cup of skim milk, a couple squirts of yellow grain mustard, 1 tablespoon of chopped chives, and a pinch of salt & pepper.  I then mixed in the diced pepper and ham, and poured the whole mixture into the couscous crust.   I sprinkled on a layer of grated Parmesean cheese, then topped the whole quiche with 8 thin half-moons of tomato (4 thin slices, cut in half) and a nice layer of shredded Mozzarella cheese.


I baked the quiche in a 335-degree oven for an hour, when the edges and top were nicely browned.


This turned out much better than I expected!!   The couscous crust had a nice crispiness on the bottom and sides, and held up well under the quiche.    Very clever, Janet!

If I was going to make this again, I would probably pre-bake the crust for a few minutes before adding the egg & filling mixture.  I would also add a couple extra eggs, because mine was a little thin (the recipe called for an 8-inch pie plate, but I only had a 9-inch).   Otherwise this was really good!!

No comments:

Post a Comment