Saturday, August 27, 2011

Day #237 - Chicken Noodle Soup



Earlier today I was feeling a little under-the-weather, so I craved a nice bowl of chicken noodle soup for dinner.  Fortunately I could find everything I needed in my pantry to throw together a pot of soup.

I started by bringing 4 cups of water to a boil in a medium pot.   Once boiling, I dropped in 4 chicken bouillon cubes, 2 bay leaves, and 1/2 yellow onion (chopped).   I let these ingredients boil for a couple minutes, until all the bouillon had dissolved and the flavors started coming together.  I then added a cup of diced carrots, and boiled for 5 minutes until tender.  At this point, I removed the bay leaves.

In my fridge was one remaining poached chicken breast from earlier this week, so I chopped that up and tossed it into the soup pot.   I also added about 1/2 cup of frozen corn kernels, 1 cup cooked edamame, and 1 cup egg noodles.    I seasoned the soup with crushed black pepper and a small pinch of dill, and brought back up to a boil.  Once boiling, I turned down the heat, covered the soup, and let simmer for 10-15 minutes. 

It was just what the doctor ordered!

No comments:

Post a Comment