Monday, August 29, 2011

Day #239 - Rotel Tilapia with Black Beans


Reader bewarned: Today begins my attempt at healthier eating.  So you will be seeing LOTS of vegetables and healthy dishes appearing over the next few weeks. 

Now that I got the health disclaimer out of the way, let me describe my dinner...

Tonight I made pan-sauteed tilapia with Rotel tomatoes with a side of black beans.  

At the grocery store, I splurged and bought fresh tilapia from the seafood counter, rather than buying the frozen fillets.   It sped up the cooking time and tasted better too (in my opinion).   I seasoned the fillet with a little crushed black pepper, then seared it in a little extra-virgin olive oil in a hot saute pan, a couple minutes on each side.  Once the tilapia was lightly browned on both sides, and starting to turn opaque. At that point, I dumped about half of a can of Rotel tomatoes (I used the Mild kind) into the sautee pan, and let the tilapia finish cooking for a few more minutes while it simmered in the spicy tomato juices.   Once the tilapia was fully opaque and started flaking nicely, it was time to eat!

I served my tilapia fillet atop a bed of mixed field greens, which I had sprinkled with a little lime juice.  The tilapia fillet broke in half when I was plating, which makes it look like a much bigger serving that it really was.  I spooned the tomatoes from the sautee pan and added those to my plate, leaving the tomato/fish juices behind.

For my side dish, I microwaved about 3/4 cup of canned black beans, and stirred in a little lime juice for an extra kick.


Colorful, flavorful, and a healthy start to the week!

1 comment:

  1. Tilopia is delicious rubbed with Blackened Seasoning and cooked in just enough olive oil to cove bottom of your pan.

    ReplyDelete