Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Day #241 - Chicken Breast with Southwestern Relish


Tonight at the grocery store, I picked up a couple ripe avocados and tomatoes. I thought I would use them to make a Southwestern-inspired relish for my chicken.

To make the relish, I drained and rinsed the leftover black beans from Monday night and dumped them in a medium mixing bowl.   I diced up 1/2 yellow onion, 1 large tomato, and 1 ripe avocado and added them to the bowl.  Seasoned the relish with a little salt, black pepper, and lime juice, mixed well, and let to rest for 30-minutes while I continued cooking the rest of my dinner.

I preheated some olive oil in a skillet on the stove over medium-high heat.  I seasoned a large chicken breast with a little salt, pepper, and Southwestern seasoning (Pampered Chef), and seared it in the skillet until both sides were nicely browned.  I then lowered the heat on the skillet, added a cup of chicken broth, covered, and let the chicken simmer over low heat for 20 minutes until cooked through.


To serve, I sliced the chicken and topped with a generous spoonful of the relish.

No comments:

Post a Comment