Thursday, September 8, 2011

Day #249 - Sirloin Steak with Cauliflower Mash


After having that delicious sirloin steak at Malone's on Monday night, I decided I would attempt cooking a decent one for myself.

I bought a sirloin steak at the grocery store, put it in a Ziploc freezer bag with 3 cloves of garlic (halved), crushed black pepper, a couple tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce, a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, and a couple dashes of Chipotle rub (from Pampered Chef).  I zipped the bag, and rolled it around in my hands, coating the steak in the marinade.   This sat in my fridge while I was at work all day.

When it was time to cook dinner, I pulled the steak out and let it come to room temperature while I heated my stovetop grill pan.  When the pan was nice and hot, I threw the steak into the pan and let it sear about 5 minutes on each side.

While the steak was cooking, I used my microwave steamer to cook some cauliflower florets and reheat some Great Northern white beans.  I mashed these two vegetables together with a little splash of milk.   I then stirred in some finely chopped chives and crushed black pepper.

Once the steak was grilled, I let it rest for a couple minutes on a cutting board before I sliced it.  (It wasn't the best cut of beef, so the middle had some "knots" of gristle that I had to work around.  But the large sections of the steak that I was able to enjoy were juicy and flavorful.)   And I was very pleased that I hadn't overcooked the steak!

No comments:

Post a Comment