Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Day #255 - Chili




The weather is getting cooler. Autumn is on the way.   Today I saw a few different posts on Facebook about friends & acquaintances making chili for supper, and it sure sounded like a good idea to me!   So I swung into Target on my way home from work, so I could grab some of the missing ingredients.

I started by cooking about 1/2 cup of diced yellow onion in some olive oil.  I then added half of a package of frozen Boca Soy Crumbles (which imitate ground beef), and let it cook until thawed.  I  took the leftover hamburger from my fridge, crumbled it up, and tossed it into the pot as well.    Once the meats were warmed, I added a can of red kidney beans, 1/2 can of white beans (leftovers from the fridge), 1 can of regular diced tomatoes, and one can of Rotel tomatoes.   I sprinkled in a package of Chili seasoning, added 2 cups chicken stock,  2 cups of V-8 tomato juice, and a little water (until I was happy with the consistency), and stirred everything together.   I covered the chili and let simmer for about 20 minutes until hot. 

Topped my bowl with some shredded mixed Mexican-blend cheese. 

Perfect for a cool damp autumn evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment