Friday, September 30, 2011

Day #271 - Weekend Getaway, Part 1

I am in Kansas City this weekend for a scrapbooking meetup with some of my friends from Scrap Girls.   So my next few food posts will reflect several dining out and fast food experiences...

Starting with lunch.   

Shortly after arriving in Kansas City, I met up with some of my friends at the Cracker Barrel near our hotel.   At the recommendation of my friend Sandi, I ordered their featured seasonal salad - the Roasted Turkey N' Cranberry Salad. Oven-roasted turkey with fresh diced apples, sliced bacon, and cranberries served over a bed of fresh greens and spring mix. Topped with our cinnamon-spiced croutons and blue cheese crumbles. Served with country pepper vinaigrette on the side.
In fact, all five ladies at the table ordered this same salad.  It was delicious!!   I've had salads with similar ingredients before, but this one had a pleasant surprise - the cinnamon-spiced croutons.  Yum! 


We spent the rest of the afternoon & evening hanging out in the hotel meeting room, playing with our laptops, working on digital scrapbooking projects, and chatting.   Rather than shut everything down and pack up, we decided to order in pizza for dinner.    I made a health-conscious decision to walk next door to Wendy's and purchase a salad, so I would fill up on that instead of over-indulging in pizza.    I bought their Chicken Cobb salad - lettuce, tomatoes, diced egg, bacon, blue cheese, grilled chicken, and fat-free French dressing.




We ordered the pizza from Minsky's - a gourmet pizza chain found in Kansas City and surrounding cities.  As a group, we decided on two varieties: the Jumbo Combo (Pepperoni, American and Italian sausage, hamburger, black olives, green peppers, mushrooms and onions) and the Nature's Choice (Artichoke hearts, zucchini, green peppers, mushrooms and onions. Topped with mozzarella cheese, sliced tomatoes and slivered almonds).



The salad was pretty filling, but I still treated myself to one slice of the Jumbo Combo pizza for dinner.   
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment