Monday, October 3, 2011

Day #274 - Quick Pork "Ragu"


I'm calling this dish a "Quick Pork Ragout," mostly because "Leftover chopped pork mixed with tomatoes" doesn't have the best ring to it.  But that's what it is.

Traditional Italian Pork Ragu (Ragout?) is a long, slow-cooked, Sunday-supper dish. 

For my imitation dish, I took the last few Autumn Harvest Pork Roll-ups from my fridge, diced them finely, threw it in a saucepan with a can of diced stewed tomatoes, and let this whole mixture simmer on the stove until heated through.   I served it over a bed of brown rice, with a side of steamed broccoli.



And since we are talking about Autumn... one of the flavors that comes to mind is pumpkin.   Pumpkin is everywhere at this time of year.   So I whipped up this light dessert for myself:


1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese, 1/4 cup canned pumpkin, 1 tsp vanilla extract, and a few dashes of pumpkin pie spices, blended together fully.  Enjoyed with a sprinkle of chopped pecans on top.    All the flavors of pumpkin pie, just with a healthier twist.

No comments:

Post a Comment