Monday, October 31, 2011

Day #302 - Baked Chicken Breast and Succotash


Last night was the premiere episode of  "The Next Iron Chef: Super Chefs" on Food Network.  During the episode, the chefs were challenged to be innovative while cooking an entire pig over an outdoor fire pit.  One of the teams created a succotash as a side to their pork entree.  For some reason, I had the word "succotash" running through my head all day, so I had to make some for dinner.  I browsed online for a few different recipes, and then combined them into one.

For my main protein, I seasoned a couple chicken breasts with salt & pepper, then baked in a glass dish in a 400-degree oven while I prepared my succotash.

I chopped some thick-cut bacon and browned it in my skillet.  After removing the bacon and draining most of the fat, I sauteed some finely chopped shallot until translucent.  I added diced red bell pepper, frozen corn kernels, frozen lima beans, and frozen edamame, and cooked until tender.  I added the cooked bacon back to my pan, seasoned with a little crushed black pepper, added a splash of milk, and let simmer, covered, over low heat until the chicken was cooked fully.


No comments:

Post a Comment