Friday, December 9, 2011

Day #341 - "Everything But The Kitchen Sink" pasta


I warn you in advance.  This is a crazy mix-mash of ingredients.  I'm sure I broke some food-pairing rules with this one.

I wanted pasta, but didn't have any pasta sauce on hand.  And rather than just serve cooked noodles with something simple like butter & herbs, I decided to see what various ingredients I could find to add to the dish.

I started by heating up a little olive oil in a large skillet.   To the hot oil, I added diced green pepper and green onion, and let them start to cook down.  I took about a dozen meatballs from the freezer, defrosted them in the microwave, quartered them, then added them to the skillet.    At this point, I started boiling the water for my rotini pasta.   Rummaging through my fridge, I found some Greek olives and canned mushrooms....so I diced those and threw them into the skillet with the peppers, onions, and meatballs.   I seasoned the whole skillet mix with salt & black pepper, and let it continue cooking over low heat while my pasta cooked.

After draining the pasta, I dumped it into the skillet, added a couple small pats of butter and a handful of fresh chopped parsley, and mixed it until the butter was melted.

Surprisingly, it was edible.  I think everything worked well together, except the olives. They were a little too salty/briny, and stood out too much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment