Monday, April 11, 2011
Day #99 - Spring Chicken Noodle Soup
Trying a new recipe tonight from Rachael Ray's Look & Cook cookbook. I really like this cookbook, because in addition to all the delicious recipes, it contains color step-by-step pictures along with the recipes. So you can SEE each step as you make it. Love that concept!
This soup is called "Cure-A-Cold Spring Chicken Soup." I've been feeling a little under-the-weather lately and this recipe appealed to me the most.
You start by poaching chicken breasts in a pot of water with 2 halves of onion, a couple garlic cloves, and some spices. I also added about 1/2 cup of dry white wine.
In a 2nd large soup pot, you sautee chopped onion, celery, and carrot in some olive oil with some salt & pepper. Add a box of chicken stock, and bring to a boil. You then add 2 cups of the poaching liquid (strained), egg noodles, and the chicken. Instead of dicing the chicken, I used two forks to shred the meat. I think it looks better that way.
Once the noodles are cooked, you add in lemon zest, a little lemon juice, parsley & dill. I also added some dried chives & tarragon. Season with additional salt & pepper, if needed.
The light burst from the lemon and dill add a refreshing springtime tweak to traditional chicken noodle soup.
I'm not sure if this will cure a cold, but it's very tasty!!
P.S. If anybody wants the actual recipe, let me know and I will write it all out. Or, I suggest just hopping over to Amazon and buying it for yourself. If only I got commission on the sales ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 halves of onion = 1 onion :-)
ReplyDeleteI know that! But you put the 2 halves of the onion into the pot. It would look funny to have a whole onion floating in there.
ReplyDelete