Tuesday, March 29, 2011
Day #86 - Barley Risotto
Trying a new recipe tonight. This one is for Barley Risotto with Ham & Mushrooms. I found the recipe in the April 2011 edition of Food Network Magazine.
The recipe was pretty easy to follow. Start by melting some butter in a skillet. Add shallots and cook until soft (this was my first time using shallots). Add barley and cook until toasted, then toss in sliced mushrooms, spices, and white wine. I also threw in a couple stalks of asparagus that I had left in my fridge. Add chicken broth and let simmer until most of the broth was absorbed, then stir in diced ham steak, grated parmesean cheese, and parsley. I think the whole dish took me 30 minutes from start to finish.
The dish had great flavor, probably due to the wine and the mushrooms. A nice, hardy, quick, comfort food. And a good amount of protein and fiber with the barley and vegetables. This recipe is a keeper!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment